Digital Portfolio

Masking Tape Shoes

Masking Tape Shoes / Masking tape / 9.5'' x 4'' x 2.25''




In Process Photos


The above photos subtly map the construction of the shoe. I began with the basic shape of the sole, then built a foundation of rolled masking tape consisting of one layer. After adding another sole on top, I covered it with more masking tape and wrapped both the heel and the quarter parts of the shoe around the sole as seen above, securing it another layer of tape. I then added the throat, along with the tongue and finally finished with the laces that I constructed and tied by cutting the eyelets, twisting a 12 inch strip of masking tape and then pushing the laces through the eyelets as if I were adding real laces to a shoe. As for the bottom, I wrapped strips of masking to the bottom of my actual shoe and, using the gray tool from the 3d kit, I rubbed the texture onto the bottom sole. 



Balsa Wood Sculptures

Sculpture One

Turning Windows / Balsa wood, wood glue, clear masking tape / 5.5'' x  6.25'' x 4''



"Turning Windows" is a sculpture that demonstrates the principle of repetition through the constant use of shape. The angle of each square pushes forth the notion of a twisting sculpture. The presence of wood glue represents an organic feeling of something being torn apart from the middle outward while the masking tape symbolizes the glass of a window. 


Sculpture Two

Going Fishing / Balsa wood, wood glue, paper, push pins, hot glue / 4'' x  9.5'' x 6''

 



“Going Fishing” was built on the principle of scale which is demonstrated by the size of each half sphere. Once whole, the sphere has been broken in half and each half is situated in a way that their sizes can be easily determined by the naked eye. The wood gives a soft, organic background and the use of paper emits the sense of string from a fishing pole.


In Process Photos


The first photo shows sculpture one three shapes in. The process began by constructing each square individually, adding the wood glue to the first (back) square then building each "window" one by one, twisting it so that each shape was not turned in the same direction; I added the clear masking tape last. 

The second photo shows the large half-circle drying with hot glue. This was the third step in the process of this sculpture as the base was the first. This particular aspect, along with the smaller half-circle, proved to be quite tasking as I was unable to remove the hot glue easily. However, once this was accomplished, finishing the sculpture was no difficulty. I added a push pin to secure the larger half-circle and another push pin to attached the smaller half-circle to the strip of paper and then the paper to the strip of balsa wood as seen in the final solution. 



Soap Carving

Soap Carving / Soap, carving tools / 2.5'' x 4.5'' x 0.5''




In Process Photos


The first image displays the middle process of the first soap carving and the second image displays the beginning process of the second soap carving. The sculpture begins rectangular in shape and then the animal takes form. I attempted to carve each soap beginning with the spine of the animal and then going back and forth between other parts of the body. 



Map Relief

Water / Origami paper, wood glue, foam board / 25'' x 25'' x 1''


 

The concept for "Water" derives from the feeling of home. Growing up amongst an abundance of light and ocean in The Bahamas, water is everywhere you turn. The beautiful thing about growing up on an island is seeing firsthand the way the water changes from one shade of blue to another; sometimes, the water is so deep that the transition of color is extreme. That shift was influenced by the memory of being on a plane and flying over the islands as I ventured on family vacations to the United States. The evolution of color from white to baby blue symbolizes the alteration of color from the shore out to the deepest parts of the ocean. 

In Process Photo & Video




The above photo displays a midway view of the project. The video shows the paper folding technique of each folded piece. After folding, I would use a toothpick to gently add wood glue to the bottom sides and hold down for a few seconds to make sure each piece was secure. 


Inspiration








Memento

Pieces of You, Pieces of Me / Balsa wood, yellow paint, wood glue / 2'' x  1.5'' x 0.5''




Memento is a piece that deals a lot with the memory of my father. My father and I had a very close relationship and I was extremely devastated when he passed away last year. I have a lot of meaningful moments with my father, but the memory that ties my memento sculpture together is the memory of being a kid and spending the afternoons after school with my father at his work. Being a repairman, he fixed washing machines and worked in the parts department of a furniture store right across the street from my primary school. On the days when he didn’t have that many customers, we would play Tetris on his computer. We enjoyed playing together and each had our favorite shape from the game.

The pieces of the sculpture represent my favorite shape and my father’s favorite shape and they’re pieced together to symbolize the close bond my father and I had. Both pieces are painted yellow to symbolize the happiness not only of that particular memory, but of spending time with my father.

In Process Photos



These images show the two game pieces before they are painted and glued together as seen in the final project. Using a box cutter, I divided up a block of balsa wood and cut the small cubes individually before sanding them down and painting them. I glued each piece together first, then attached them to create the entire memento. 

Inspiration

Edwardo Chillida







Masked Identity

Masked Identity / Wire, tracing paper, gel medium, masking tape, black ink, white ink / 19'' x 16.5'' x 18''

 




 A natural part of who we are is influenced in many ways by the interrelation with people around us. Most importantly, our identity is something that begins to take shape from the moment we are created.



My masked identity takes the form of a pyramid. My reasoning for using a pyramid translates to the early ancient Egyptian belief that the pyramid shape represented the idea of new life and creation. Each side of the pyramid represents the four main people in my life who, based on my individual relationship with them, has influenced, in some way or form, who I am today. Also, its four sides all unite at the centre tip and represent the connection that I have with those people. On each side of the pyramid, I added the words “Mother, Father, Sister, Sister” to tie into the idea that each side represents a significant family member. Mother, Sister and Sister are in all black because they are still alive and present with me and Father is faded out, in white, to symbolize his death and lack of physical - but the surplus of spiritual - presence.



For my shoot, I chose to wear clothes that represent who I am as a person and the key around my neck symbolizes another individual, albeit not family, who, based on my relationship with that person, has influenced a part of me. A key has many meanings, but around the neck it symbolizes lost love. In high school, I met my "first love" and our connection was a very strong and close one, something that has affected me and stayed with me almost ten years later. The key is a meaningful prop as it ties into the main theme of my piece, which is how our relationship with other people can influence our identity in some way. 



Each pose represents the "piece of identity" that I've garnered from my relationship with each individual. In the first photo, I am sitting up right, almost perfect, a personality trait that I gained from my mother as she too is a bit of a perfectionist. The second pose is more relaxed, not so uptight about things; this trait I gained my from father as he was a very a relaxed person and didn't worry so much about things as I do in certain situations. The third pose is a bit direct and serious, something I share with my first older sister and the fourth pose is more casual, a trait I share with my second older sister. 



In Process Photos


My in process photos depict my masked identity from the beginning and right before I took my professional photos. I started out with the basic shape of the pyramid, bounding it with wire and masking tape then added on 2-3 layers of tracing paper. I then traced the words onto each side, adding black and white ink to make them visible. 

Inspiration

Eaton Knott